You've probably asked your parents at this point how long it would take to microwave a turkey. A lot of people have been posting their responses online. These are some of my favorites. Anyways the turkey company Butterball known for their famous Turkey Talk-Line tells the Today Show that you can actually microwave your turkey. WHAT?!?
If you're lazy like me, you might actually be interested in the instructions. Here they are:
1. You got to thaw out your turkey. Putting a frozen turkey in the microwave is a bad idea
2. Place the turkey breast side down on a microwave-safe dish
3. Microwave it for 4 minutes per pound on full power.
4. Once you do that, you're going to need to cook it on a lower power
5. Remove the drippings and baste the partially-cooked turkey so it can get that golden skin
6. Flip the turkey over and cook it at 50 percent power for 8 minutes per pound.
7. Check the turkey every 18 minutes to check the turkey's internal temperature with a meat thermometer and baste it
8. When the turkey gets to 180 to 185 degrees in the thigh and 170 to 175 degrees in the breast, it's safe to eat
9. Baste the turkey one more time before you serve it
PHEW. Okay, microwaving the turkey doesn't seem like the easiest option after all. I guess if you're in a pinch and you don't have an oven it could be good. Obviously try this at your own risk, because I'd feel horrible if you got salmonella from undercooked turkey.
(Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)