Keep an eye out when you bite into your Tastykake Krimpets.
Last week Flowers Foods, Inc. announced a recall to a number of their products. Then, this week they expanded the voluntarily recall of several Tastykake varieties "due to the potential presence of tiny fragments of metal mesh wire," according to a recall alert posted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration last week.
"The recall was initiated following notification by a vendor of the possible contamination in a supplied ingredient and is being amended following additional notification from the vendor," the FDA said last week
- Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets 12 oz. (6-2ct) and Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets 2 oz. (2ct) (Inner packages sold individually) with "enjoy by" dates of Nov. 24 and Dec. 1.
- Tastykake Creme Filled Krimpets 14.25 oz. (6-2ct) with "enjoy by" dates of Nov. 20, 24 and 27.
- Tastykake Jelly Krimpets 12 oz. (6-2ct) with "enjoy by" dates of Nov. 22, 25 and 29.
- Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets (Club Pack) 24 oz. (12-2ct) with "enjoy by" dates of Nov. 24 and Dec. 1.
- Tastykake 3ct Butterscotch Krimpets 3 oz. (3ct) with "enjoy by" dates of Nov. 27, Dec. 1 and 8.
- Tastykake 3ct Jelly Krimpets 3 oz. (3ct) with "enjoy by" date of Nov. 25
According to the recall alert -- here's what you should do.
"Affected product should be discarded or may be returned to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may call Flowers’ Consumer Relations Center at 1-866-245-8921. The center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Consumers also may contact the center via e-mail by visitingwww.flowersfoods.com/contact/consumers."
The recalled cakes were distributed in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia. No injuries have been reported.